Dual monitors on Radeon 5770 with fc15

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 04:07:01 UTC 2011

Hi,

>> Is there another way, besides hacking the xorg.conf like it's 1998
>> again, to configure resolution and dual monitors?
>
> Try the "Catalyst Control Center" that was installed along with the
> driver.  FInd it in whatever GNOME 3 calls an application menu or run
> "amdccle" from a terminal.

Okay, great. I see the program now.

>> Also, what the hell happened to the minimize button on each window?
>
> It was removed in GNOME 3.  I understand installing and using the
> gnome-tweak-tool package permits you to restore some sane behaviors to
> the desktop.

Is there an easy way to install this? The only reference I see is
through a copy using git.

>> Is there any way to fix the screen corruption without switching from
>> GNOME to another DE?
>
> Exactly what are you experiencing?

- Icons missing from "Applications" menu. There are one or two there,
but for the majority it is only the description.
- There is like a checkerboard flickering when moving some windows.
Not exactly sure under what circumstances it occurs.
- What happened to the menu bar that displays which applications are
running so I can click on them to bring it to the foreground? There
are some programs listed at the top that are running, but even firefox
and thunderbird are not there, and can only be chosen by clicking
Activities first.

I saw a screenshot somewhere of a program selection thing at the
bottom of the screen that was pretty nice looking. Any idea how to
enable such a thing with GNOME3?

- Playing 720p video causes the audio to be out of sync with the
video. It's like the video can't keep up with the audio. Screen
refresh doesn't seem terrible, but certainly doesn't feel as good as
it should for a $250 video card.

> You could also try fallback mode:
> http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/gnome-3-fallback.html

I will investigate this.