How to mount floppy?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Aug 17 16:41:05 UTC 2011

On 08/16/2011 11:50 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> On 8/16/2011 7:52 PM, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>>> mount -t msdos /dev/fd0u1440 /mnt/floppy
>>>
>>> See URL:
>>> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/fedora-35/fedora-13-mounting-floppy-813466/
>>>
>> Worked for me on F13.  Cannot speak for later versions.
> I am off floppys at this point, but I'd be curious to see if anyone
> tries this on F14.
>
> Paul
Ok, I loaded the LiveCD F14, opened a terminal,
typed: modprobe floppy, opened Computer icon,
the umounted floppy icon appears, inserted the w95
floppy, double-clicked floppy icon, it mounted, displayed
w95 contents.  So, it worked. Note: if floppy was inserted
prior to modprobe, it does not automount - you have to
double-click the unmounted floppy in order to see the
contents.  Older versions of Fedora used to automount
the floppy when it was inserted - this feature was removed
in later fedora versions, or so it seems.

I tried the same for LiveCD F15, did modprobe for which
the unmounted floppy icon appeared, but I was not able
to mount nor open floppy.  This mechanism appears to be
broken.  Did not try the manual mount as posted in this
thread.

FWIW,
Dan