networking vs. VirtualBox

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Thu Aug 18 02:26:48 UTC 2011

On Thu, 18 Aug 2011, Marko Vojinovic wrote:

> On Thursday 18 August 2011 01:04:40 Michael Hennebry wrote:
>> Thanks folks.
>>
>> Now /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/network-scripts looks like this:
>> DEVICE="eth0"
>> BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
>> HWADDR="08:00:27:D2:4E:D1B"
>> NM_CONTROLLED="yes"
>> ONBOOT="yes"
>> to match that of my host system.
>> Previously, BOOTPROTO was not there and ONBOOT was "no".
>> I also used
>> chkconfig --add network
>> to start the network service.
>>
>> I now have a guest that can be pinged from outside its host.
>
> If you use the network service, I suggest disabling NetworkManager for the
> guest, "chkconfig NetworkManager off" followed by "service NetworkManager stop".
>
> Also, modify the NM_CONTROLLED to "no", since NetworkManager is not supposed

Will do.

> to control this device. To make sure that the network service is turned on
> automatically at boot, "chkconfig network on". That should be it for network
> configuration of the guest. ;-)

I'm pretty sure it was already off, but I'll make sure when I get back to it.

I'll see whether I can get another guest to use NetworkManager.
I'm surprised that neither was already running.
During install, I clicked on "configure network"
and I thought I'd told it to use dhcp.

Thanks again.

"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.
Optimist:   The glass is half full.