telnet on local LAN question

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Aug 19 03:47:49 UTC 2011

On 8/17/2011 11:55 PM, James Hogarth wrote:

> Based on the above you have one subnet of 192.168.2.0/24
> <http://192.168.2.0/24> with 192.168.2.3 as the gateway.

Yes

> I think there was some confusion when you mentioned firewall rules on
> your router. Traffic between hosts on the same subnet do not go via
> the gateway but are direct instead.

As you can probably guess, I did not know this though I was thinking
something like this had to be the case if ssh / port 23 was allowed on
the iptables and I didn't have to do anything in the router.

> Rewinding a little. At this point does a netstat -anp | grep ":25"
> show any of the systems listening on 0.0.0.0 or are they only
> listening on 127.0.0.1 still?

I just ran this test:
+++
[root at yoyo ~]# netstat -anp | grep ":25"
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:25
0.0.0.0:*                   LISTEN      1510/sendmail: acce
[root at yoyo ~]# netstat -anp | grep ":23"
[root at yoyo ~]#
+++

I'm staring at man netstat and the description of local address, foreign
address, and state ... but not certain what it really means in context
of your question regarding listening ... I think I am supposed to assume
that this output means 127.0.0.1:25 is listening to anything sent from
0.0.0.0:* ?

> If that is not corrected then firewall rules are moot.

I can't figure out enough to answer this question

Thanks,
Paul