telnet on local LAN question

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Aug 19 04:49:24 UTC 2011

On 8/18/2011 9:33 PM, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-08-18 at 21:31 -0700, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>> telnet chalupa 23
>> telnet chalupa 25
>> telnet chalupa
> ----
> first and third are essentially the same
> second one because chalupa isn't listening on port 25 - at least not on
> any 192.168.2.x address
>
> if you are on chalupa though, you can probably
>
> telnet localhost 25
>
> I already told you how to get sendmail to listen on all network
> addresses
>
> Craig

Craig:

Yes, telnet localhost 25 gets me into 220 <name>.localdomain ESMTP
Sendmail [...] with the iptables stopped or restarted.

Your earlier email indicates that to solve the mail/mailx between
machines, I need comment out that line in sendmail.mc and I will get the
results you indicated. Sure worth a try, let me give it a go.

Yes, I agree that one needs to filter multiple suggestions and I already
indicated that I kinda mangled the multi-tasking of those parallel
threads. Yesterday and today have been trying to tie up the loose ends.
I am not longer certain whether the telnet testing failure is a blocker
to getting mail between machines. But it still remains a mystery to me
why I can't tell iptables "you like telnet / port 23 inside your LAN".

Thanks,
Paul