Hardware modem

Lars Eighner topper at larseighner.com
Fri Aug 19 22:37:02 UTC 2011

My question is about getting Fedora 15 to recognize a hardware modem and
then setting up ppp "on demand" to use it.

I made the mistake of installing Fedora 15 with the GUI.  This only told me
that my modem was "unplugged."  And I could not figure out how to drop out
of the GUI to a command line terminal. So I overwrote the installation with
"minimal." Now I get a command line prompt (in teeny tiny font).  However I
could not find anything helpful (to me) in /dev or /etc/ppp.

I have googled many combinations, but so far all the queries about modems I
have read are about getting winmodems to work.  I do not have a winmodem. I
have a 3COM PCI (internal) hardware modem which works flawlessly with
FreeBSD sio (that's the serial io device).

If I can find out how to configure a dialer and authentication, I would like
for ppp "on demand" to work for my only non-root user, which will be me.
Otherwise, I just got a nine piece coaster set for $30 from OSdisc.com.

(PS: I am a 20-year user of FreeBSD.)

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html