Hardware modem

Lars Eighner topper at larseighner.com
Fri Aug 19 23:06:43 UTC 2011

On Fri, 19 Aug 2011, Alan Cox wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Aug 2011 17:37:02 -0500 (CDT)
> Lars Eighner <topper at larseighner.com> wrote:
>
>> My question is about getting Fedora 15 to recognize a hardware modem and
>> then setting up ppp "on demand" to use it.
>
> I'm pretty sure you can do it with NetworkManager if you are in graphica
> mode - by adding a connection and so on but the other way is to set it up
> by hand via /etc/ppp which is the same basic ppp setup as BSD use - same
> ppp dameon package and so on.

Okay, I am finding some useful stuff in "Development Guide" -- which seems
odd since I am not a developer.  Haven't found the dialer yet.  This is
especially difficult because BSD can't mount ext4 and I cannot read online
documentation in Fedora.

>> I made the mistake of installing Fedora 15 with the GUI.  This only told me
>> that my modem was "unplugged."  And I could not figure out how to drop out
>> of the GUI to a command line terminal. So I overwrote the installation with
>
> Start a terminal application or hit ctrl-alt-f2/f3/f4/.. for virtual
> consoles. Setting the run level to 3 also gets you a more "traditional"
> environment where you have to 'startx' to get X services.
>
> If you are used to a more old fashioned X environmen you may find that
> adding the XFCE or LXDE group to your mininal install gives you a desktop
> environment which is rather more friendly to the 'I'll just start a
> shell' universe.

I'm aiming for fvwm2, which is the most GUI I can stand.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html