How to get VGA font in virtual consoles

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 00:56:30 UTC 2011

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Lars Eighner <topper at larseighner.com> wrote:
> How do I get virtual consoles to use (always) a plain old VGA text mode
> font in 80x25 (charactersXlines) resolution?

There may be a better way but reboot and add "vga=ask" to the end of
your kernel line.

This sets the resolution not the columns and lines but you should be
able to find one you like. Once you do edit your /boot/grub/grub.conf
and add the vga=... to your kernel lines. Use the same mode you
selected manually only add 0x (that's a zero) to the front of it,
i.e.:

If you tried 37d (i'm making this up but it could be a real mode) then
you would add "vga=0x37d" to the end of your kernel line.

HTH,

Richard