HP printer problem

James Bridge james at xmas.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 20 09:20:51 UTC 2011

Hi all - hoping someone may be able to give me a pointer on this.

I have an old HP deskjet and a new wireless HP photosmart. Both work
correctly under Vista and both are installed and functioning with Fedora
15, using the HP printer manager (downloaded from sourceforge). hp-check
says all is well. However, when I print colour photos with the new
printer using GIMP or gThumb, the colours are too saturated, though they
both work fine with the old one and both printers give correct colours
if I print directly with the HP printer manager.

It seems that somehow GIMP and gThumb are using an incorrect colour
profile with the new printer. Neither takes any notice of the settings
for gamma etc in the HP manager (though they do affect the results when
printing directly)

I'd be very grateful for any advice - I'm tearing my hair out now!
--
James Bridge <james at xmas.demon.co.uk>