Progress and advice so far

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Aug 20 09:58:58 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 03:26 -0500, Lars Eighner wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2011, Tim wrote:
>
> > I think a language barrier came across in your message.  Did you mean
> > it's also not installing which and apropos commands?  Or did you mean
> > they're not useful until an updatedb has been run?
>

> Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different
> results.
>
> I've done 4 or 5 various installs today, and at least one of them did not
> include 'which' - perhaps it was the minimal one. Apropos seemed to work in
> all of them but was not very helpful.  locate has been the most helpful so
> far.  If you know part of the name of just one console font, locate will
> help you find where the rest of them are, and so forth.
----
always great to see someone flail about...

# which which
alias which='alias | /usr/bin/which --tty-only --read-alias --show-dot
--show-tilde'
        /usr/bin/which
# rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/bin/which
which-2.19-5.fc12.i686

# yum remove which
<< snip >>
Remove      356 Package(s)

Installed size: 2.1 G
Is this ok [y/N]: n
Exiting on user Command
Complete!

almost impossible to not have installed since just about the whole
system depends upon 'which' package.

Craig

believed to be clean.