Mistakes & Lies F15

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Aug 20 10:15:29 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 02:56 -0500, Lars Eighner wrote:
> 1) From Googling I am given to understand I can boot to a console by setting
> the run level in /etc/inittab. This seems to be a mistake, for the file
> itself says nothing in it will have any effect.
----
had you bothered to read the release notes, you would have been informed
that Fedora 15 uses the new systemd and not sysv and thus inittab is
essentially useless.
----

> 2) But the file goes on to say run level 3 can be acheived by creating a
> symbolic link to multi-user.target.  This is a lie. First of course you have
> to remove the old link, but once you do and create the link suggested in
> /etc/inittab, there is no effect whatsoever and you will still boot into the
> dreaded Gnome 3 GUI (I hear Linus won't use Gnome or KDE. Prehaps he's as
> crazy as I am.)
----
Nothing crazy - see my note under #1
----
> (Previously:
>
> yes, yum will install wvdial, which is not installed with the GUI install,
> but as I have mentioned, yum will not run unless the fedora and update repos
> are disabled because (says yum) their .xml files do not have section
> headings. If you disable those repos, you do not have to enable explicitly
> /usr/repo. )
----
I would suggest that you install mrepo (rpmfusion) if you want to
install from a local repo but you can always just use 'createrepo' to
properly create one for you.

That said, I wouldn't suggest Fedora for someone who is seriously
bandwidth challenged because of the release early and often philosophy
which means that from the initial release, many updates and bug fixes
will come out making the initial release somewhat difficult to use
without the ability to run updates.

Craig

believed to be clean.