Network won't start.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Aug 20 13:51:14 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-19 at 15:59 -0400, Jim wrote:
> I just discovered that the network is connected, I'm connected with
> web browser and surfing the internet.  NetworkManager is disabled but
> the network icon does not indicate it's connected, I just have a red
> box with a X in it in system tray .

At first glance of your original post, it did look like you were
connected.  But I didn't study it hard to see if there was something
important missing.

The status of network icon will be derived from what NetworkManager says
about the interface.  If NetworkManager didn't start it, it will show it
as being inactive, even if something else has brought your network up.
It shows the status of NetworkManager, not the status of your network
(directly).

If you're not using NetworkManager, then you'd want to configure your
interfaces as not being managed by NetworkManager.  That way
NetworkManager doesn't confuse other things.

> Boy am I puzzeled !!!

Try one of the corner pieces, first...  Sorry, couldn't resist.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.