Mistakes & Lies F15

Lars Eighner topper at larseighner.com
Sat Aug 20 16:53:02 UTC 2011

On Sat, 20 Aug 2011, Craig White wrote:

> On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 02:56 -0500, Lars Eighner wrote:
>
>> 4) resizeconsole promises to adjust the console, but complains it does not
>> have the proper 'videomode' file for 80x25.  There is no hint of where
>> the acceptable 'videomode' files might be.  Using the -lines switch, it
>> will reduce the number of lines to 25, but won't change the columns and
>> won't get out of the hidious teeny tiny default console font. It just writes
>> the first 25 lines to each screen at the same height, leaving half the
>> screen blank.
>>
>> 5) attempting to set vga=<anything> in grub leads to a blank screen and an
>> unresponsive keyboard.
> ----
> Perhaps you have some setup that defeats automatic detection of the
> available modes.
>
> are you following this?
>
> http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt

This seems to be about graphics modes, not text modes.

> you might need to convert those to decimal, sort of as conveyed here...
>
> http://stommel.tamu.edu/~baum/linux/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Vesafb-5.html

Ditto.

> but in general, you should just let the software detect as this tends to
> be a bit heavy handed.
>
> I'm not sure what this has to do with Fedora though. This is probably
> going to happen with any recent version of xorg/linux.

I'm asking about setting text modes in a virtual console (aka virtual
terminal) - not about running a terminal in xorg.  Xorg is not an operating
system -- it has nothing to do with what I am trying to do.  I want to run
command line applications at the command line, not in an Xterm. I want to be
in text mode: 80 columns, 25 lines, 16 color, using a VGA font -- I don't
want something drawing a picture sort of like that in graphics mode.

Vesa is for sort of drawing a picture of what it thinks text mode might look
like -- if text mode was tiny, illegible, and all et up with unicode.  Vesa
is not VGA.  There has never been a graphics font that can put 4000
characters (80x25) on a screen legibly, which is what VGA can do.

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html