Mistakes & Lies F15

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Aug 20 17:32:14 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 11:53 -0500, Lars Eighner wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Aug 2011, Craig White wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 02:56 -0500, Lars Eighner wrote:
> >
> >> 4) resizeconsole promises to adjust the console, but complains it does not
> >> have the proper 'videomode' file for 80x25.  There is no hint of where
> >> the acceptable 'videomode' files might be.  Using the -lines switch, it
> >> will reduce the number of lines to 25, but won't change the columns and
> >> won't get out of the hidious teeny tiny default console font. It just writes
> >> the first 25 lines to each screen at the same height, leaving half the
> >> screen blank.
> >>
> >> 5) attempting to set vga=<anything> in grub leads to a blank screen and an
> >> unresponsive keyboard.
> > ----
> > Perhaps you have some setup that defeats automatic detection of the
> > available modes.
> >
> > are you following this?
> >
> > http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt
>
> This seems to be about graphics modes, not text modes.
>

> > you might need to convert those to decimal, sort of as conveyed here...
> >
> > http://stommel.tamu.edu/~baum/linux/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Vesafb-5.html
>
> Ditto.
>

> > but in general, you should just let the software detect as this tends to
> > be a bit heavy handed.
> >
> > I'm not sure what this has to do with Fedora though. This is probably
> > going to happen with any recent version of xorg/linux.
>

> I'm asking about setting text modes in a virtual console (aka virtual
> terminal) - not about running a terminal in xorg.  Xorg is not an operating
> system -- it has nothing to do with what I am trying to do.  I want to run
> command line applications at the command line, not in an Xterm. I want to be
> in text mode: 80 columns, 25 lines, 16 color, using a VGA font -- I don't
> want something drawing a picture sort of like that in graphics mode.
>
> Vesa is for sort of drawing a picture of what it thinks text mode might look
> like -- if text mode was tiny, illegible, and all et up with unicode.  Vesa
> is not VGA.  There has never been a graphics font that can put 4000
> characters (80x25) on a screen legibly, which is what VGA can do.
----
No - your question #5 couldn't have been any more explicit and my answer
was directed to that question.

Just to recap... you don't read the release notes, you don't read the
comments at the top of config files that you then proceed to edit, you
get answers that specifically respond to specific questions that you
raise and you want to suggest that Fedora makes mistakes and lies.

I'm done with your questions. Good luck

Craig

believed to be clean.