howto lock DNS number in /etc/resolv.conf

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 17:37:09 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 11:44 AM, james tate <binarynut at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 08/21/2011 02:03 AM, Tim wrote:
>> On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 20:36 -0400, james tate wrote:
>>>
>>> How can I lock down DNS nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf , every time I
>>> reboot the DNS is changed ?
>>>
>>> Fedora is getting bad DNS numbers from a 2Wire router.
>>
>> And I'll say what the other two haven't said:  Why can't you reconfigure
>> the router properly?
>>
> I have been through that damn router two times and I can not find out
> why or how it comes up with;
>
> domain= 2wire.net
> search = 2wire.net
> nameserver 172.16.0.1   (which is the gateway of the router)
>
> 2wire.net is the website of modem manufacturer , not a DNS serve.
> This is causing conflicts with a number of website. It can not get the
> DNS numbers.

You must have a bad DNS server; by default, the domain and search
won't be used if the server that you're trying to connect to has a "."
in its name.

Override the values that the router sends you by adding

supersede domain-name-servers "8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4"; ## Google's but you
can set others
supersede domain-name "domain";
supersede domain-search "search";

to "/etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf"