Solved - Console resolutions problems

Lars Eighner topper at larseighner.com
Sun Aug 21 21:42:47 UTC 2011

Surprisingly enough, Fedora 15 will honor the nomodeset flag in the kernel
boot line.  With boot to console (multi-user, formerly known as run level 3)
& the splash screen dispensed with, good console comes up.

On startx, Gnome3 complains that I will miss the full wonderfulness and
ecstaay of the Gnome experience.  Boo-hoo-hoo!  I will try to bear up under
the pain.  :) But actually gnome seems to work fine -- well as fine as a
bloated, moron GUI can work.  And the good console is restored on exit from
Gnome.

Now on to the hell of trying to bring up ppp on demand ...

--
Lars Eighner
http://www.larseighner.com/index.html