[ENDING THREAD] Re: telnet on local LAN question (progress?)

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Aug 22 05:01:13 UTC 2011

On 8/21/2011 9:44 PM, Craig White wrote:

> ----
> I really don't have much interest in ploughing through all of your e-mails and all of the answers you get which just confuse the whole situation.
>
> All you really need to do is set smarthost on all of the LAN machines -
> all machines smarthost relay e-mail to chalupa and chalupa uses
> smarthost - to your Internet supplier's smtp server. Basically you want
> all your LAN based mail clients to use chalupa smtp server and MTA's (ie
> sendmail) to smarthost deliver to the same chalupa smtp server.
>
> Anything more is just wasted energy.
>
> Submission port/587 requires SASL configuration / authentication which
> is a more involved setup. Not a bad idea but more complex to be sure.
> Should only be useful setting it up on chalupa.
>
> Have I suggested postfix less than 3 times?
>
> Craig

Craig:

Fair enough.

I really appreciate the help from you and everyone else. I was hoping
that I'd get a hint when I'd worn out my welcome on this thread so I
could end it before I got blacklisted (if I haven't been already on some
folk's accounts). I've learned from this attempt and all the information
people have offered.

And, yes, I've noticed and remembered the postfix suggestions, they seem
to show up in the proximity of a good number of links on Fedora / others
I have seen. I've also remembered suggestions of setting up the LAN to
have a mail server.

Once again, thanks to all,
Paul