Fedora15 with kvm and spice

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 07:31:41 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 9:17 PM, Alex <mysqlstudent at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> I have a win7 x86_64 kvm image I created on a fc14 machine that I've
>>> now transferred to a new fc15 machine. I'd like to use the new spice
>>> system to improve video performance. I've searched quite a bit, but
>>> most references seem to be very dated or incomplete.
>>>
>>> Is there any documentation on how to properly configure fc15 to use
>>> this? Is spice similar to VNC, in that it provides the remote
>>> emulation and screen updates?
>>>
>>> Is there something that needs to be done to modify qemu to work with spice?
>>>
>>> I'm currently using the "vga" driver and performance is just horrible.
>>> What is the proper way to get more reasonable video performance on a
>>> win7 guest?
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> In-order to use spice, you'll have to use the "-vga qxl" and -spice
>> port=PORT,SECURITY switches and install the qxl drivers on your guest.
>> On the host / network side, in-order to connect to the guest, you'll
>> have to install the spice client, and run: spicec -h KVM-host -p PORT.
>>
>> However, trying to find signed qxl drivers for Windows is problematic
>> - especially if you plan to use 64bit Windows.
>> (I simply resigned to using F8->disable driver signing enforcement
>> when I boot the VM).
>
> So it sounds like it's not officially a part of f15?
> These changes are made by hacking the init script directly?

No, no.
qemu-kvm w/ spice/qxl support are part of Fedora.
No need to change anything in the *host* to enable it.
You will need to change the *guest* configuration.

> This is an older post that I used to skip the enforcement
> restrictions. Will this work for the qxl drivers?
>
> http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/redhat-54-windows-virtio-drivers-part-2-block-drivers

It will only work on old(er) version of Windows.
Newer version of Windows (mostly 64bit release) enforce signed driver
installation.

- Gilboa