Fedora15 with kvm and spice

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Mon Aug 22 12:23:10 UTC 2011

>> Is there any documentation on how to properly configure fc15 to use
>> this? Is spice similar to VNC, in that it provides the remote
>> emulation and screen updates?
>>
>> Is there something that needs to be done to modify qemu to work with spice?
>>
>> I'm currently using the "vga" driver and performance is just horrible.
>> What is the proper way to get more reasonable video performance on a
>> win7 guest?
>>
>> Any ideas greatly appreciated.

I have a couple of F15 desktops running Windows XP guests. I start them
using root cron:

@reboot sleep 30; /usr/bin/qemu-kvm -hda
/var/lib/libvirt/images/MikeWindows.img -usbdevice tablet -m 2048 -k
en-us -vga qxl -spice port=5930,disable-ticketing &

I found this was simpler than relying on virt-manager, especially when
you want to move images to new machines.

Spice is a dramatic improvement over the older vnc-based methods. I love
it...

- Mike