emacs won't start unless I speciffy font

Andras Simon szajmi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 12:30:41 UTC 2011

2011/8/22, Martín Marqués <martin.marques at gmail.com>:

> One thought: Why isn't xorg-x11-fonts-misc a requirement for emacs, as
> it doesn't start without it? Else, emacs default configuration should
> change to some font which is installed by default.

I for one is happy that xorg-x11-fonts-misc is not a requirement
(after all, I'm running emacs without it). Your other suggestion makes
a lot of sense, provided there _is_ a font that's installed by
default.

BTW there are other issues related to this. On a fresh (though
admittedly, quite minimal) F15 install both emacs and icewm had empty
spaces in place of menu items until I installed the appropriate fonts.

Andras