howto lock DNS number in /etc/resolv.conf

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Aug 23 04:49:48 UTC 2011

Ed Greshko:
>> Maybe. Some ISPs, like my Dad's, supply DSL routers to their clients
>> and don't allow client access.

Craig White:
> If that is the case, they will get a LOT of telephone calls when they
> supply a DNS server address that is non-functional.

Or, maybe not...

I think that every ISP I've ever used has had rotten DNS servers (slow,
overloaded, or even completely unresponsive), so I started running my
own DNS server as soon as I learnt how.

I'm guessing that many people just put up with it (and things like it),
thinking that's normal, just like they'll put up with their Windows box
being a pile of crap.  And they'll probably presume that any internet
woes are down to their own computer.  I know quite a few people who're
exactly like that.  So ISPs get away with it (providing continual bad
service, and not caring when the few discerning customers go elsewhere,
because complaining to the ISP is fruitless).

Some ISPs (e.g. Telstra, the biggest phone company and ISP in Australia,
and backbone for countless other ISPs), would (nearly) always blame the
customer for any fault, even when their user support news groups give
ample confirmation that the network is up the creek.  You could have
users spread all over the country confirming that they're unable to
browse overseas, for example, and the ISP will be telling them to,
"reconfigure your dial up settings and try again."

Here, anything to do with the home computer industry is as shonky as the
stereotypical used car salesman.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686