Kernel upgrades?

Roberto Ragusa mail at robertoragusa.it
Tue Aug 23 13:05:26 UTC 2011

> Just to provide a more complete answer: the issue with trying to use a
> 3.x kernel on Fedora 14 (or Fedora 15) is that a large number of
> applications and kernel models are designed to expect the 2.x version
> number. They fail to parse the 3.x version and will not run properly.
> This has mostly been worked out for Fedora 16 packages, but the effort
> has not been backported to F14 and F15.
>
> So I'd recommend that what you probably want to do is to take the SRPM
> for the 2.6.40.3 kernel from Fedora 15 and rebuild it for F14.

In addition to the 3.x parsing problem, it was my impression that
kernel upgrades turned out more problematic than usual since the moment
graphic stuff was moved into the kernel. This has created more
dependency between the kernel and some X and Mesa parts, especially
considering the great pace of development of this code (nouveau
etc.).

Isn't this the real reason F14 is stuck at 2.6.35?

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it