Needs-restarting is useless

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Aug 23 19:43:10 UTC 2011

On 23/08/11 20:29, Joe Zeff wrote:
> I've tried using needs-restarting after updates, but never had it report
> that anything was needed, either running it as myself or as root.
> Today's update included Firefox, Thunderbird (both running at the time)
> and a new kernel.
>
>> [joe at khorlia Desktop]$ su -c needs-restarting
>> Password:
>> [joe at khorlia Desktop]$ needs-restarting
>> [joe at khorlia Desktop]$
>
> If it's actually supposed to do something, it's b0rk.

Running F14 x86_64.  I didn't upgrade the kernel - waiting for ATrpms kmdls

[John at localhost ~]$ su
Password:

[root at localhost John]# needs-restarting

3433 : /usr/lib64/thunderbird-3.1/thunderbird-bin
5567 : /usr/lib64/firefox-3.6/firefox-UILocaleen-GB

Thunderbird and Firefox restarted here

Update smart's package caches:

[root at localhost John]# cd /var/lib/smart
[root at localhost smart]# /usr/bin/python repomanage.py --old ./packages |
xargs mv -t ./purged1
[root at localhost smart]# /usr/bin/python repomanage.py --old ./purged1 |
xargs rm -f
[root at localhost smart]# needs-restarting
[root at localhost smart]# exit
exit

Haven't seen any problems yet...

John P