Needs-restarting is useless

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Aug 23 20:07:51 UTC 2011

On 08/23/2011 12:43 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
> [John at localhost ~]$ su
> Password:
>
> [root at localhost John]# needs-restarting
>
> 3433 : /usr/lib64/thunderbird-3.1/thunderbird-bin
> 5567 : /usr/lib64/firefox-3.6/firefox-UILocaleen-GB
>
> Thunderbird and Firefox restarted here

Interesting.  I tried again, using su - instead of su -c to see what
happened and it still reports nothing.  In fact, it's never reported
anything needing restarting.  Clearly, my copy of it's b0rk.  Any ideas
why?  (I haven't restarted anything yet, and will hold off for a little
bit in case there are any suggestions.)