Installing driver for WiFi adapter

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Wed Aug 24 14:44:49 UTC 2011

Paul Smith writes:

> >> Thanks, Terry.
> >
> > Why do you believe you need to install some kind of a driver? From the
> > below, it looks like your card is an atheros chip-based one, and you have a
> > bunch of ath9 modules loaded.
> >
> > What exactly is or is not working for you.
>
> Well, I plug the the USB device and nothing happens. According to the
> manual, a led should be turned on when I plug the USB.

That may not mean anything. These kinds of idiot lights are often software
controlled. My laptop has a built-in idiot light for it's built-in wireless
cards. It obediently lights up when I boot Windows. It stays off in Fedora.
Maybe in blinks occasionally, but wireless works just fine. The kernel
driver, I guess, doesn't bother to turn on the idiot light, when it
initializes the adapter.

The most important thing is whether NetworkManager claims to see a wireless
interface, and gives you a list of available access points your wireless
card is hearing, and not whether some idiot light comes on.

A good source of clues is to look at what gets written into
/var/log/messages, when you plug in the card.