Personal VPN on Fedora

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Aug 24 15:17:49 UTC 2011

Manuel Escudero wrote:

>> I'm puzzled by this thread.
>> It doesn't seem to me to be too difficult to set up an OpenVPN server,
>> following the instructions in /usr/share/openvpn/easy-rsa/2.0/ .
>>
>> Or are you all trying to do something else?

> The idea was to get an easy solution to mount a personal VPN
> in Linux using an external "pre-arranged" solution such as those
> you might use on windows or mac, (HotspotShield/TunnelBear).

I'm still puzzled, almost certainly due to my ignorance.
What exactly is a "personal VPN"?
Is OpenVPN a "personal VPN"?

As far as I can see, Hotspot Shield and Tunnel Bear
are both running VPN servers, on a free/commercial basis,
and if you subscribe to them you can run a VPN client
which communicates with or through them.
Or have I got that wrong?

> See, Win/Mac users don't mount their own VPN servers when they
> wanna use VPN because of those apps, I found a solution like
> that but for Linux, and that was what I was looking for in the first
> place.

It's not really clear to me what this has to do with Linux or Windows.
In fact, from a very quick glance at their bumpf,
it seemed to me that Hotspot Shield probably is running a Linux VPN server.

But I admit I'm far from expert on VPN.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net