[SOLVED] gnome-shell + nfsv4 = problems?!

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak mjc at avtechpulse.com
Wed Aug 24 19:09:01 UTC 2011

On 08/22/2011 02:46 PM, Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I've been testing F15/gnome-shell on my desktop, and it works great...
> except when I install it on a second user's desktop, everything slows to
> a crawl, sometimes freezing the shells altogether. I can tell when
> another gnome-shell system is in use, because mine freezes!

OK, gnome-shell + firefox + nfsv4 = JUST DOESN'T WORK.

I switched to glusterfs, and with a few tweaks, it rocks! (Tweaks = need
"features/posix-locks" in glusterfsd configs, and do the client mounts
in /etc/rc.d/rc.local, and not in /etc/fstab.)

My firefox freezes are gone. Firefox has stopped losing my authenticated
sessions (cookies.sqlite). The system boots much faster.

I hope this helps others in a similar situation!

- Mike