howto lock DNS number in /etc/resolv.conf

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Aug 25 02:36:14 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-23 at 14:19 +0930, Tim wrote:
> Ed Greshko:
> >> Maybe. Some ISPs, like my Dad's, supply DSL routers to their clients
> >> and don't allow client access.
>
> Craig White:
> > If that is the case, they will get a LOT of telephone calls when they
> > supply a DNS server address that is non-functional.
>
> Or, maybe not...
>
> I think that every ISP I've ever used has had rotten DNS servers (slow,
> overloaded, or even completely unresponsive), so I started running my
> own DNS server as soon as I learnt how.
----
What used to be is not necessarily the way it is now and if you lock
into specific DNS server addresses instead of letting them get assigned
via DHCP (as in having a cable modem or DSL modem that gets address
assignment from the provider), then yeah, you might run into issues.

I also run my own DNS servers but that's because I want private LAN
names and e-mail to resolve and I get the added benefit of being able to
flush the DNS cache whenever I choose but for just about everyone I
know, there really is no need to run your own DNS server.

Craig

believed to be clean.