OT: Improving laptop wifi reception

Shiv Manas shiv at linux.com
Thu Aug 25 06:04:20 UTC 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 4:43 PM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-08-24 at 13:27 +0100, Paul Smith wrote:
>> Is there some device that can boost a laptop wifi reception? In the
>> library where I spend some time studying, I usually get a signal with
>> a quality of about 20%.
>
> Well, is that really a problem?  Some of the signal meters don't mean a
> great deal.  They can show a combination of strength and/or quality,
> where the threshold of goodness could be anywhere.

I agree.

In my university for example, in one of the rooms, I barely get a
signal - however, I am able to download at a decent speed. On the
other had, I noticed that upload speeds are directly proportional to
the signal strength. So unless you're doing heavy uploads, I don't see
low signal strength as an issue for regular web-surfing.

> The alternative is to replace the wireless interface with an external
> one, one with either a better antenna, or a removable one where you can
> fit a better one.  You can get USB wireless interfaces, or ones that
> plug into the card slot.
>
> A simpler thing to try, first, is sitting in a different spot in the
> library.
>
> Better reception may not help if they have a poor network, anyway, with
> too many clients simultaneously using a low bandwidth network.

+1 to all the above.

Paul, if you do consider buying a USB wireless interface, might I
suggest going for one which has a detachable external antenna?
I can happily recommend any Alfa brand USB WiFi adapters - they have a
long range, are compatible with most distros, and are very affordable.
Personally I use the AWUS036NH which has a massive 2W output. Couple
that with a 5dBi or higher antenna and you can catch a signal from
miles away!

- Shiv