F14 locks up during graphical login into KDE

linux guy linuxguy123 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 16:16:59 UTC 2011

Hi people.

My F14 system is hanging during graphical login/boot into KDE.  The mouse
becomes intermittent and then it freezes.

However, if I start a CLI session before it hangs, the CLI session runs
fine.

The machine will NOT shut down properly.  It hangs during shutdown.  It
looks like one or more processes won't stop properly.

I believe this started happening after running yum update yesterday during
which I noted that a new nvidia driver was installed.   I am running the
proprietary nvidia driver, not nouveau.  (Ducks !)

Any ideas why this is happening ?   Anyone else having the same problem ?

Thanks !