F14 locks up during graphical login into KDE

Arthur Dent misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Aug 25 16:41:33 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-08-25 at 10:16 -0600, linux guy wrote:
> Hi people.
>
> My F14 system is hanging during graphical login/boot into KDE.  The
> mouse becomes intermittent and then it freezes.
>
> However, if I start a CLI session before it hangs, the CLI session
> runs fine.
>
> The machine will NOT shut down properly.  It hangs during shutdown.
> It looks like one or more processes won't stop properly.
>
> I believe this started happening after running yum update yesterday
> during which I noted that a new nvidia driver was installed.   I am
> running the proprietary nvidia driver, not nouveau.  (Ducks !)
>
> Any ideas why this is happening ?   Anyone else having the same
> problem ?

I'm using gnome, not KDE, but if you look at my thread from earlier
today
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2011-August/403344.html
you'll see that I have a very similar problem.

I am just creating an account on the rpmfusion bugzilla list to report
this as a bug (have to go out now so will do it later tonight...).

Regards

Mark