configuring bridge with wlan0 on libvirt (KVM) (RHEL6)

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Fri Aug 26 21:55:09 UTC 2011

Kernel Guardian writes:

> Put into ifcfg-wlan0 :
>
> # bridged interface for wlan0
> BRIDGE=br1
>
> ifcfg-br1 :
> DEVICE=br1
> TYPE=Bridge
> ONBOOT=yes
>
> the rest of config is standard.
>
> after restart network service or whole system, you can use br1 as
> interface in KVM guest

What confidence level exists that all wireless cards support bridging (or
that 802.11whatever supports a single client flinging multiple MACs at the
access point, in the first place), and that all wireless adapters are
willing to assign multiple DHCP leases to a single client, that suddenly
starts babbling multiple MAC addresses, all of a sudden? That's what I'm
wondering.

The way I reckon, with this kind of a setup NetworkManager will still try to
obtain an IP address from the access point, when it logs in. But then, when
the guest VM comes up, its stack will demand an IP address of its own, and
that demand will also go to the access point.

But even if this works, the way I see it that this effectively prevents
Networking from coming up on the guest unless wireless is up – because it
now relies on the access point to give it one.

Has anyone tried this, and can actually claim that this works, and is not
mere speculation. But even if it does, not being able to talk to the guest,
unless wireless is up, seems rather inconvenient. I say the best way is
just to enable NATing on the virtual bridge.