Brain fart: no format option on a pen drive pop-up menu?

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 28 13:18:11 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-08-28 at 00:51 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 17:54, Aaron Konstam <akonstam at sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>         It does mean erasing the files on the disk or other media. Now
>         what does
>         erasing mean. It means that any program whose purpose is to
>         list files
>         on the media will find no files. That is what most people mean
>         by
>         erasing. In windows the system, tells you that all the
>         contents of the
>         file will be lost. That is erasing in normal parlance.
>
>         I also disagree with the statement: They're still there.  And
>         easily
>         recovered with the most rudimentary of effort. They are not
>         easily
>         recovered and the process is not rudimentary.
>
> +1+1+1
>
> :))
>
> FC

Let us add another mini-fact. I don't mind adopting Alan Cox's
suggestion to refer to the formatting process as formatting rather than
erasing.

But then what do we say the function of rm is. Does it erase the files
that are its arguments. It also does not erase the file anymore than
format does.
What this country needs is a good five cent nickel.
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net