Upgrading via DVD iso on a USB storage device.

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Sun Aug 28 20:29:18 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-08-28 at 12:01 -0600, linux guy wrote:
> I want to upgrade from F14 to F15.  For whatever reason, the boot
> after running preupgrade fails if I try to do it that way.
>
> So now I would like to upgrade via the DVD iso.
>
> I would like to do so without burning a DVD.   I'd like to load the
> DVD iso onto a USB flash storage device and boot it from that.
>
> I tried using the Fedora Live USB Creator tool.  It gives me a "Unable
> to find LiveOS on ISO" error.
>
> How do I put the DVD iso image on a USB flash storage device so it
> will boot ?
>
> Thanks

The easiest way would be unetbootin-linux-549 which you could get from :
unetbootin.sourceforge.org. Unfortunately F14 is the latest live usb
that is included.

Another way is to buy a F15 DVD from cheapbytes/com. It costs ~$5 but it
is painless. I guess you could also download the Live CD.
University politics are vicious precisely because the stakes are so
small. -- Henry Kissinger
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net