/etc/init/ directory - why is still supported?

Michael Ekstrand michael at elehack.net
Mon Aug 29 15:13:24 UTC 2011

On 08/28/2011 06:09 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 29.08.2011 00:59, schrieb Frantisek Hanzlik:
>> This dir was IMO for upstart config files, and now with F15/systemd
>> its existence is pointless, i'm right?
>>
>> >From old times i was wonted to control services with
>> "/etc/init.d/SERVICE command" rather then "service SERVICE command"
>> - first variant was, using shell completion, much faster and prone
>> to fewer typing error. Of course, with /etc/init/ directory arrival,
>> was necessary type three extra character :)
>> Will we wait to see /etc/ without init directory?
>
> you will not see this removed as long not all services are native systemd
> and there are MANY pakcages missing until now, also remember that software
> outside the feodra-repos exists and it would be really dumb killing
> sysv-backward-comatibility the next years

/etc/init is not for SysV compatibility, it is for Upstart.  Considering
that systemd is not Upstart-compatible, and AFAIK Fedora only really
used Upstart in SysV-compatibility mode rather than with Upstart native
scripts, I would expect to see /etc/init go away sometime in the near
future.

/etc/init.d, on the other hand, should stay around at least when you
have the LSB layer installed.

- Michael