GNOME 2 on Fedora 15

Ranjan Maitra maitra at iastate.edu
Mon Aug 29 18:21:07 UTC 2011

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 11:02:14 -0500 Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>
wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 15:15 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > Note that GNOME 2.x won't get any security updates which might be
> > something you need to keep in mind.   This is part of the reason that
> > Fedora along with other distros will have to move to follow GNOME 3.x
> > releases.
>
> One wonders how this will impact on the various long life distributions,
> where you're expected to keep using Linux version x(not changing).y(not
> changing).z(only part that changes), then?  Because they're supposed to
> run for years, *with* security updates, but no large version changes.

I wonder if it would make sense for the Fedora developers to consider
not tying the base distribution to Gnome (or anything that is so
widely-panned), but to something else. It is a question of choice, but
from what I have been reading, Gnome-users has really had some very bad
experiences.

The new user always gets the base distribution -- the one that is
called Fedora in the Download segment. Most people would run away from
using the spins, thinking that it is something more advanced (when in
reality, it is not).

Not to mention, there are several rpms needlessly tied up with gnome,
because some developers work off this, and just assume that it is
needed in their packaging.

Best wishes,
Ranjan