RHEL6 Wallpapers

Alan Cox alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk
Tue Aug 30 10:04:58 UTC 2011

> protected work?  What if I purchase a paper book - can I rip out the pages
> referencing the publisher and author's rights, then claim it as my own? Get
> real.

In some cases yes. Your analogy is perhaps problematic however. Firstly
if you are removing trademarks you are not dealing directly with
copyright law, secondly even with copyright images can also be a derived
work.

So if I took say a CC licensed image and added my copyright image on top
of a corner to produce a backdrop, and you then take my image and remove
the bit I added to the backdrop and replace it again with something new
you created then it might not be a problem at all.

Just like you can add some PD and GPL code together and then extracting
back out bits of the public domain parts for non GPL use isn't necessarily
a GPL violation.

Alan