GNOME 2 on Fedora 15

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Tue Aug 30 19:05:05 UTC 2011

On 08/30/2011 11:36 AM, Julius Smith wrote:
> I found alacarte, gnome-shell-extensions-alternative-status-menu,
> etc., to recover lost functionality.

Right now, I'm running XFCE 4.6 on my desktop, but I've used a
third-party repo to upgrade my laptop to 4.8.  (I'm always a tad more
careful with my main box; among other things, when it's time to upgrade
Fedora, the laptop always goes first.)  The first time I logged in after
the upgrade, XFCE asked if I wanted the default desktop or if I
preferred copying over my old settings.  Naturally, I picked the latter
because I'd already gotten things the way I wanted them and saw no
reason to repeat the experience.

I think it would be a Good Thing for Gnome 3 to do something similar
after upgrading from Gnome 2.x.  Yes, I realize that there are things,
such as desktop icons and the placement of buttons on the bottom panel
that can't be carried over but you should at least have the option of
having your menus copied over with whatever customizations are still
appropriate.  Also, if somebody were to write a utility that could look
at your old settings and help you get the most important ones working
(or, at least, something equivalent working) it would make the
transition much easier.

Please note: I may not run Gnome any more, or even want to, but that
doesn't mean that I'm not willing to make suggestions on how to make it
easier for users to adapt to it.