GNOME 2 on Fedora 15

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Tue Aug 30 19:30:00 UTC 2011

On 08/29/2011 09:23 AM, Heinz Diehl wrote:
> On 29.08.2011, Dave Cross wrote:
>
>> I've tried GNOME 3 for a couple of months and I really don't like it[1].
> Seems nobody likes it (me included). Frankly, Gnome3 is broken by design and
> a f*cking piece of cr*p :-)
> All the students at my college who use(d) Linux/Gnome2 before have switched, and
> guess how many are using Gnome3 now? Yes, you're right: zero.
>
> Just get over it, and use one of the fine alternatives: XFCE has
> always been great, LXDE is slightly "buggy" but great too, and there
> are various other good wm. I personally like ratpoison, awesome and
> fluxbox a lot. It hurts a couple of weeks, but then you're done.
I tried both LXDE & XFCE, but Desktop/panel (re)configuration
options/features seems limited:

XFCE:
1) Does XFCE allow creation of new panels, left/right/top(or bottom)
    with features such as hiding panels which appears only when the
    mouse is moved into the screen edges?

    I cannot figure out how to add new panels; they appear collapsed,
    and only expands with addition of new icons? How can I change the
    panel properties to expand these new panels 100%, vertically and/or
    horizontally?

2) Since I like to rearrange the icons within my main panel(1),
     the workspace being 'centered', the icons adjusted to the
     left and/or right of the workspace, the "open desktop apps icons"
     moved to other panels (left/right/{top|bottom} instead of "main",
     with locks, and the notifications panel to the left of screen and so
     on, so do I have this flexibility as Gnome provides? I don't see it.

3) Can I move/drag-drop the icons from one panel into another?

LXDE:

1) I haven't figured out how to shrink the desktop icons, how  can
    I do this?