F-15 Scanner Tool -

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Aug 31 13:03:52 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-08-30 at 16:39 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> I found a resolution control in the xsane menu. It's marked
> with a ideogram of different sized dots. I should have
> recognized that as resolution I guess. The default is 80, 300
> produces readable copy.

If you're scanning for 1:1 printing purposes, then there's some logic in
scanning at the same resolution as the normal printing resolution of
your printer.  That should avoid any image scaling issues, gives you a
resolution that should print well, and avoids pointlessly scanning at a
resolution higher than you can print.  But if you want to edit the file,
then a higher resolution might be warranted.

If you have a printer with a massively high resolution capability, do
you normally print at that resolution?  Usually that's reserved for
*high* quality, rather than *normal* printing.  300 - 600 dpi has looked
good on laser printers, for text printing, for many years.  Higher
resolution is mostly pointless, unless there's pictures on the page.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.