how do I play this file?

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Wed Aug 31 22:54:37 UTC 2011

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Manuel Escudero wrote:

> 2011/8/31 Ranjan Maitra <maitra at iastate.edu>
>
>> Well, you need to let us know more specifics for us to be any use at
>> all.
>>
>> Where did you get this file? If it is a flash plugin you need, which is
>> what I suspect, just download it from Adobe and install. (Of course,
>> what exactly you need to know will also depend on what exactly your
>> system is.)

I got it from the Cache after playing a file on the web through firefox.

To file it is a Macromedia Flash data (compressed), version 10 file.
Right-clicking and clicking on properties tells me that it is a
Shockwave Flash file (application/x-shockwave-flash) file.

>> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 14:11:23 -0500 Michael Hennebry
>> <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> How do I play a
>>> Macromedia Flash data (compressed), version 10 aka
>>> Shockwave Flash file (application/x-shockwave-flash) file.
>>> The former came from the file command, the latter from right-clicking.

> is it a "swf" file? ok... You have 3 ways to do it:

I'm not sure I ever knew the original suffix.

> For just viewing:
>
> 3) Click with left button of the mouse, hit "Open With" and Open it with
> firefox.

I tried adding a .swf suffix to it.
firefox gave me an all-black video.
A .wmv suffix had the same affect.

I tried to do an install by googling swf and following
links to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/?PID=3081440 .
I picked yum as my version.
Eventually I was told that adobe-release-i386-1.0-1.noarch
is already installed.

I'm running Fedora 14.

"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.
Optimist:   The glass is half full.