Problem with readline (command line editing)

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 00:38:23 UTC 2011

Hi evryone,

Suddenly today I noticed several of the readline bindings are not
working any more. I have not made any customisations either through
~/.inputrc or through bind statements in my ~/.bashrc. I have tried
rebooting, logging in as a freshly created user. Neither of them helped.

To illustrate my issues, neither of the following work:

1. forward-word            -  M-f
2. backward-word           -  M-b
3. forward-search-history  -  C-s
4. yank-nth-arg            -  M-C-y
5. yank-last-arg           -  M-.
6. transpose-words         -  M-t
7. upcase-word             -  M-u
8. backward-kill-word      -  M-<DEL>
9. kill-word               -  M-d

While compiling the above list I realised its all the keybindings with
the Alt (meta) key. Any ideas what went wrong?

--
Suvayu