F16: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and MTP

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Dec 1 10:50:27 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 13:59 +0000, James Hogarth wrote:

> > Not sure it'll help, but in the case of you my Galaxy S2 smartphone, I
> > simply switched the phone to mass-storage mode.
> > (Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging)
> > Once enabled, you can simply access the file-system on your device
> > like any other USB mass-storage device. (Disk-on-key, HDD, etc)
> >

> It is a problem we'll have to face soon however - even if the current
> Galaxy Tab can be switch to mass storage...
>
> The Galaxy Nexus (and thus reference for the next generation of
> android phones/tablets) does not have a USB mass storage mode since it
> does not have an SD card to unmount to present to the system. Rather
> MTP is being used so that both the phone and the connected system can
> have simultaneous access to the internal filesystem.
----
actually, I think your declaration that there won't be a USB mass
storage mode in the next gen android phones/tablets is incorrect...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/21/ice-cream-sandwich-supports-usb-mass-storage-after-all-galaxy-n/

----
> Right now we cannot say if future Samsung/Motorola/HTC/etc phones
> based on ICS and the GN reference will follow a similar pattern or
> not....
----
It will be there as evidenced by the Asus Transformer Prime

Craig

believed to be clean.