Apache AD / LDAP authentication issues.

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at activenetwerx.com
Thu Dec 1 11:38:58 UTC 2011

>require ldap-user "greg.machin"

Pretty sure that needs to be a DN... Do you actually have sAMAccountName
Names written as x.x? Strange...

When I visit the site I get the expected login prompt, authentication
fails with my own account.

>root at nzhmlwks0091:~# ldapsearch -h 192.168.32.2 -p 389 -D
>"CN=apache.serverapp04,CN=Users,DC=ad,DC=mydom,DC=com" -w
>"passwordxyz"
>ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)

Right, so check the dn and password. Is your domain actually ad.mydom.local
or is your server netbios name 'ad', in which case you don’t put that in the dn.

>So the problem is with the binddn , I configured the new user the same
>as another user this is know to be working. A member of User and
>"Domain Admins" (I don't want this user to have admin rites if I can
>avoid it.)

Certainly shouldn’t be a member of the dom admins.