Printing at 600 dpi makes everything twice as big

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Thu Dec 1 18:07:45 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-01 at 11:45 +0000, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 08:53 -0800, Jonathan Ryshpan wrote:
> > I'm not sure exactly why I used the Gutenprint driver.  As best I
> > remember it, when I upgraded to Fedora-16, which was done with a full
> > install on Nov. 9th, either Gutenprint was the default driver for the
> > printer, or was recommended, or no driver was recommended.
>
> Could you show the output of su -c 'lpinfo -l -v' please?  It sounds
> like we have the wrong IEEE 1284 Device ID for this device, or else we
> have that ID assigned to the wrong model.

Your wish is my command - jon

$ su -c 'lpinfo -l -v'
Password:
Device: uri = http
        class = network
        info = Internet Printing Protocol (http)
        make-and-model = Unknown
        device-id =
        location =
Device: uri = serial:/dev/ttyS0?baud=115200
        class = serial
        info = Serial Port #1
        make-and-model = Unknown
        device-id =
        location =
Device: uri = https
        class = network
        info = Internet Printing Protocol (https)
        make-and-model = Unknown
        device-id =
        location =
Device: uri = ipp
        class = network
        info = Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
        make-and-model = Unknown
        device-id =
        location =
Device: uri = cups-pdf:/
        class = file
        info = CUPS-PDF
        make-and-model = Virtual PDF Printer
        device-id = MFG:Generic;MDL:CUPS-PDF Printer;DES:Generic
CUPS-PDF Printer;CLS:PRINTER;CMD:POSTSCRIPT;
        location =
Device: uri = socket
        class = network
        info = AppSocket/HP JetDirect
        make-and-model = Unknown
        device-id =
        location =
Device: uri = ipps
        class = network
        info = Internet Printing Protocol (ipps)
        make-and-model = Unknown
        device-id =
        location =
Device: uri = lpd
        class = network
        info = LPD/LPR Host or Printer
        make-and-model = Unknown
        device-id =
        location =
Device: uri = smb
        class = network
        info = Windows Printer via SAMBA
        make-and-model = Unknown
        device-id =
        location =
Device: uri = beh
        class = network
        info = Backend Error Handler
        make-and-model = Unknown
        device-id =
        location =
Device: uri = parallel:/dev/lp0
        class = direct
        info = LPT #1
        make-and-model = unknown
        device-id =
        location =
Device: uri = usb://Brother/HL-1440%20series
        class = direct
        info = Brother HL-1440 series
        make-and-model = Brother HL-1440 series
        device-id = MFG:Brother;CMD:PCL4,PJL;MDL:HL-1440
series;CLS:PRINTER;
        location =