F16 New Install on HP Pavilion g series - Problems

Gregory P. Ennis PoMec at PoMec.Net
Thu Dec 1 18:15:32 UTC 2011

Everyone,

I am trying to do a new install of F16 on a HP Pavilion g series
notebook.  This is an x64 install.

The first problem was related to booting the install x64 DVD.  The
screen went blank after bit and the install died.  I have tested the DVD
with checksums, and on a different computer and everything worked fine.
It appears that this particular notebook has a problem with the
installation disk.

I went to the troubleshoot section and did the install related to 'basic
graphic's (I think that was the label)  The install proceeded but When
the process checks for missing dependencies it found a bunch.  I next
reduced the install selections to just "Graphical Desktop" with use of
the "Fedora 16 x86_64_updates" repository and continue to be advised
that the installation will be compromised by a missing dependency :

libass-0.10.0-1.fc16.x86_64 requires libfribidi.so.0()(64bit)

I have not been able to find a google search result of a similar
problem.

Any ideas as to how to proceed?

Greg