Anyone got three monitors working?

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Thu Dec 1 19:43:32 UTC 2011

Mike Park wrote the following on 11/28/2011 12:55 PM:
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 11:41 AM, Thomas Cameron
> <thomas.cameron at camerontech.com>  wrote:
>
>> I'd *really* love to do triple head - the monitor in front of me for my
>> main work, and the two side screens for supporting stuff.
>>
>> I am wondering, since my motherboard has a four PCI Express x1 ports and
>> I see PCI Express x1 video cards for decent prices, if I can either
>> replace my single card with two identical two-port X1 cards, or just add
>> a single X1 video card to what I already have and get triple head.
>>
>> Has anyone done this?
>>
> I haven't tried using separate display adapters, but I'm currently
> running F15 on triple head using an ATi Radeon HD 5770 card (I'll
> confirm this model once I get back from work). This card, if I recall
> correctly, offers (2) DVI ports and (1) DisplayPort port (I had to
> purchase a separate DisplayPort->DVI adapter), which fired up my
> desktop on all three screens w/ minimal fiddling (on both Gnome 3 and
> KDE 4).

Any ATi card that includes the "eyefinity" feature supports 3 or more
monitors. These cards use DVI/DP (HDMI cards do not support eyefinity to
my knowledge) and will have 3 video output ports. I've purchased several
HD5450 cards for ~ $30 that work fine in other OS's. I have no idea of
the current state of ATi drivers in Linux. In general, Nvidia has had a
better history of Linux support compared to ATi.