Problem booting under F16

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Thu Dec 1 22:15:39 UTC 2011

Joe Zeff writes:

> On 12/01/2011 04:02 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > As log as grubby did its job with grub2, there is no issue.
> >
> > If grubby is having a problem with grub2, using grub2-mkconfig should
> > fix it.
>
> More thoughts.  Remember, Sam, that I can't boot into the new kernel so
> there might be an issue.  (I just remembered that the laptop hung on
> shutdown after that update, forcing me to use the power button and
> that's very much not normal.)
>
> I take it that you suggest getting rid of that file in /etc, re-running
> grub2-mkconfig and trying to boot again into the new kernel?

The warning from grubby can be due either to grubby choking on grub.cfg, old
grub 1 config file, which is not needed any more, or if grubby can't figure
out what to do with grub2. grubby, when told to do its thing, will check to
see if either grub 1 or grub 2 is installed, and run through both of them.

It's not clear if your grubby warnings are due to the old grub 1 config, or
the current grub 2 config. If it's grub 1, deleting grub.cfg will shut
grubby up. If it's grub 2, I found that rerunning grub2-mkconfig generates a
new grub 2 config file that will make grubby happy, going from that point on.