GNOME2 support revisited

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Dec 1 23:00:38 UTC 2011

T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Bill Davidsen<davidsen at tmr.com>  wrote:
>> Now that MINT has both a GNOME2 port and ax extension (plugin, whatever) for
>> GNOME3 to make it usable without user retraining, will these features be
>> available in Fedora17, or has the move to kill GNOME2 become a holy war.
>
> There is nothing stopping anyone from packaging the Mint Gnome Shell
> Extensions [1] or the MATE Desktop Environment [2] for Fedora.  If you
> are interested in doing so, see [3].
>
>> We support RHEL6 installations, and in addition to training time and application
>> (re)development costs, people complain that switching between GUI hurts
>> productivity, creates typos, etc, etc. People spend time whining about it, that
>> definitely hurts productivity.
>
> Whether or not Red Hat includes either of these in RHEL7 is of course
> Red Hat's decision, not the Fedora community's.

What did I say which in any way referenced RHEL7? We are running Fedora on our
support machines (not the servers) and my question was pretty specific as to
FC17 being the issue, so we can get off FC14.

I take it that "feel free to do it yourself" is a polite way of saying no, I
can't imagine anyone here doing the port with no assurance that it would be
accepted.

Thanks for the info.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>