F16: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and MTP

Steven F. LeBrun steven at lebruns.com
Fri Dec 2 05:33:23 UTC 2011

On 11/30/2011 08:59 AM, James Hogarth wrote:
>> Not sure it'll help, but in the case of you my Galaxy S2 smartphone, I
>> simply switched the phone to mass-storage mode.
>> (Settings->Applications->Development->USB debugging)
>> Once enabled, you can simply access the file-system on your device
>> like any other USB mass-storage device. (Disk-on-key, HDD, etc)
>>
> It is a problem we'll have to face soon however - even if the current
> Galaxy Tab can be switch to mass storage...
>
> The Galaxy Nexus (and thus reference for the next generation of
> android phones/tablets) does not have a USB mass storage mode since it
> does not have an SD card to unmount to present to the system. Rather
> MTP is being used so that both the phone and the connected system can
> have simultaneous access to the internal filesystem.
>
> Right now we cannot say if future Samsung/Motorola/HTC/etc phones
> based on ICS and the GN reference will follow a similar pattern or
> not....
>
> The FUSE based mtpfs can be found here but with the caveat that it
> doesn't appear to have progress very far... and was just the first
> google result for it - not sure if there is a competing effort:
> http://code.google.com/p/mtpfs/
>
> Relevant stuff about this situation can be found here:
> http://www.pcsmax.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus-no-data-transfer-to-mac-and-linux-112776.html
>
> James

More information about accessing the Galaxy Tab 10.1 using MTP.  I just
bought a small MP3 player and connected it to my laptop via USB.  It was
treated the same as the Galaxy Tab 10.1, it crashed Rhythmbox.  Before
restarting Rhythmbox, I disconnected and reconnected the MP3 player.  To
my surprise, I was able to access its memory as a file system.  Running
mtp-detect or mtp-connect caused the connection to fail.  I was able to
transfer files to the MP3 player successfully so long as Rhythmbox was
not running (and probably other programs that use libmtp).

After some success with the MP3 player, I tried connecting the Galaxy
Tab 10.1 without Rhythmbox running.  I was able to see some sort of file
system.  It was not the file system that I expected or see with apps
like Astro.  It was a flat file system with directories named 00000001
to 00000028 (counting in hex).  All these directories are mostly empty
though a few have files with the same numeric naming scheme.  Nautilus
is stating that "These files are on a digital audio player" and wants to
open them with Rhythmbox.

It appears that while the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is using MTP, it is not quite
following the specification that the mtp tools are expecting.  The mtp
tools can detect that it is a Galaxy Tab 10.1 connected but when it
attempts to connect the connection is refused.

   --
   Steven F. LeBrun

Quote: /"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog,
it's too dark to read."/
      -- Groucho Marx